Thursday, May 01, 2008

Quarterly Update

Well, I guess I’m still struggling to keep this thing updated on a regular basis…Anyway, let’s just get to what happened in the past few months. February was good. It started out with yet another Peace Corps Volunteer marrying a local Filipina (as of to date there are 6 volunteers from my original group that are either married or have plans to get married to Filipinos…talk about the Peace Corps experience changing your life). It was good times at Dustin and Cheng’s wedding which was held in beautiful Tagaytay. Besides giving me an excuse to see my fellow PCVs it also was great timing for me and Kelly to meet up (we’ve been managing to see each other once every 6-8 weeks since we started dating at the end of August).




At the reception me and fellow pcv Dave got our Rock on...this was the last of my long locks as you will soon see


After the wedding me and Kelly headed down to Donsol in the Bicol region to swim with the biggest fish in the world: the Butanding or Whale Shark! Donsol is well known as one of the few places in the world where whale sharks come to feed on a regular basis from January through March. I should note that these big guys, which can get up to 20m (60ft) in length, only feed on plankton and shrimp so we weren’t worried about being eaten alive. We flew into Legaspi and hoped to see the perfectly coned shaped volcano of Mt. Mayon. Unfortunately it was rainy and cloudy, which honestly had me more worried about getting to see the whale sharks the next day. We took a van from Legaspi to Donsol and the weather didn’t look much better…we were just going to have to hope for the best the following day. Well, the next morning came and although it was still overcast the rain had let up a little. We went to the whale shark center to get some fins, sign up for a boat, and of course pay a hefty sum of Pesos. But honestly I felt it was all going to be worth it if we just got to see one…all I wanted was a chance just to see one. We rode around in our boat full of tourists for about an hour. Then suddenly group on another boat spotted one and was preparing to dive in. The captain of our boat then lined us up to be dropped off based on the direction of the snorkelers from the other boat. Once we were in position our snorkeling guide gave us the cue to jump in. Our group couldn’t see a thing at first due to the poor visibility. It was rather chaotic. I peaked up from the water and watched the direction of the approaching snorkelers and then started kicking my fins as fast as possible to swim where I thought the big fish would pass by. I kept my head down in the water and just kept kicking. Suddenly there it was…it’s mouth was roughly 4 ft wide and it was cruising about 2 meters below the surface. My adrenaline was really starting to kick in and I found I was keeping pace with his speed rather easily. I attempted to turn my underwater camera on and capture the moment on film but my display informed me my batteries were low…BLAST! I decided to just keep kicking and let this incredible moment sink into my brain as long as possible…the giant fish became more clear as it slowly raised up to a depth of only a couple feet. I was tempted to reach out and touch the enormous creature but just kept swimming along side. It had felt like a long time and I looked up to see if Kelly was nearby. I discovered it was just me and the Butanding with a trail of a dozen snorkelers behind us. I kept swimming until it seemed to me it was the next group’s turn from another boat. As I slowed my pace it became obvious that this fish was at least 3 times as long as me and I’m 6’7” (the captain later told us it was between 7 and 8 m…just a baby :)) Its tail was the size of an average Filipino. It started to pull away and I lifted my head out to see that an Englishman from our boat had been on the other side of the whale shark. We both looked at each other with a huge grin and all I could say was, “That was Incredible!”…our captain informed us to quickly get back in the boat and get ready to make another run. I asked Kelly if she got a good look but she said just a glimpse. We swam with it a few more times and I took the opportunity to dive down and observe the underbelly of the beast which had two little cleaner fish swimming alongside. The gills were big enough to slip a hand into (of course I didn’t do this!). After 3 runs Kelly still didn’t feel like she was getting to see it very well since it was rather chaotic with 7 of us from just our boat as well as snorkelers from other boats. People were learning quickly how to get a good position and Kelly was often getting a fin to the mask. The fourth run (and what proved to be our last) I grabbed her hand and pulled her through the jumble of the crowd. This time I was certain she was getting a good look since it was right below us and we were hand in hand. It was really special for us to experience something like that together.

This could be a picture of me and Kelly if my camera had been working and visibility was that clear...but its not...just got it off the net, but it gives you a good idea of what they look like and I would say our whale shark was roughly the same size.


Ok…so I realize that was quite a long story and I’ve still got a lot to tell from the past few months so I’m going to try and keep it more brief with pictures to maybe explain what’s been going on…

We managed to get some water testing done on the Biosand Filter and the results turned out awesome. We tested two filters from owners who were certain their water was unsafe for drinking before getting a Biosand Filter. One filter removed over 99% of bacteria (518 colonies before BSF, 4 after) and the other 95%. All the studies you read on the BSF state that if installed correctly it should remove 95% of bacteria but it was certainly reassuring for me to see the results first hand from filters I helped install in San Joaquin.



Colony counts of Bacteria Before BSF (all those white dots)...


...and After!


Also my friend Bong has now sold 6 filters all on his own which is encouraging. It’s still a slow process but I think that’s just the Philippines and the fact that he does have other work. I’m hoping the water testing we did further promotes the BSF’s effectiveness.


Me, Gert, and members from the LGU finished up both the environmental presentations at the High Schools as well the Coastal Resource Management (CRM) presentations for the barangays. I alluded to this in my last blog that I think issues with CRM are maybe the biggest problems in San Joaquin. I’ve decided not to go into detail to explain the precise problems but it basically comes down to a depletion of resources through unsustainable fishing practices by both local fisherman but especially by commercial vessels. For all the fish lovers back home this isn’t just a problem in the Philippines but all over the world. Next time you’re buying some fish at the grocery store look for the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) sticker to ensure that your fish was caught in a sustainable manner. If you are more curious about this topic check out the website http://www.msc.org/


The rest of February and the beginning of March had me attending two solid waste management seminars with my counterparts from the LGU and helping my PCV buddy Erin out with an Environmental Camp for 4th and 5th graders that her NGO conducted…that was indeed a rocking good time…by the way my team the Bearcats dominated the camp, Bearcats ang galing!

At the end of March I was fortunate enough to have my old college buddy Scott out for a visit as well as his buddy Cory, or the Doc as I like to call him since he is a newly practicing chiropractor.

The plan was to meet up in Dumaguete which is small city in southern Negros (big island next to my own Panay). I had been there over a year ago for a training and did some spectacular diving at nearby Apo Island. Since Scott was certified and Cory was looking to do his four open water dives in the Philippines to get certified, it seemed like an excellent starting point for the trip.


Scott and the Doc’s Philippine Adventure is best told through pictures…


Since it was Sunday when they arrived we started the trip out with some gambling on fighting cocks. Both the Doc and Scott proved to be winners at the bulang, however I still think one guy might have ripped us off a 100 pesos claiming we made 8-10 odds on the bet…funny how my Kinaraya/Ilonggo language skills was sufficient for our communicating purposes of placing the bet, but after losing money my pinoy friend could only speak the local Cebuano, which I of course know very little. The important thing was that both Scott and the Doc won on the two bets they made because like all things winning is what matters :)





The diving began the next day. We did two dives in Dauin just south of Dumaguete. I really enjoyed the second dive which was underneath a pier. The footers were covered by corral and it was fun weave in between and around them. The sunlight had a cool effect similar to looking through a forest.


Not too interesting from the surface but pretty awesome underneath...



The next day we did two dives at Apo Island where we saw lots of good corral and a few sea turtles up close…yeah, that never gets old.
Cory geared up and ready to dive.


Scott confused why his gauge to his tank reads zero...he managed fine without air




The Doc practicing the Pinoy custom of watering coconut trees




Later that night we met up with these crazy German guys and feasted on fresh fish.



Then the Doc did some work on our backs…apparently being a 6’7” dude in the Philippines can create some bad posture…I’m working on keeping my back straight as I type this Cory :)


After the diving we elected to head to Sipalay where we had heard of an amazing place called Sugar Beach. I tried making us reservations but all the places I had numbers for were booked due to holy week. I figured if we showed up maybe one of the resorts I didn’t have a number for might have a room…it was a gamble but my mates were willing to roll with the Philippine motto of “We’ll see what happens”


After riding a bus for 6 hours we took a trike from the town of Sipalay to the road to Sugar Beach…and we started the long walk...I was getting worried that if we couldn’t find a place on Sugar Beach my companions were not going to be to happy with the gamble…


The walk in was pretty scenic and it felt like we were discovering some secret place. I bargained with this small boy to ferry us across a river for 20 pesos



As we arrived at Sugar Beach it definitely became clear that this place was special. There were only 5 resorts total and the first two confirmed they were booked. We kept walking and I was really getting worried. Fortunately the 3rd resort had a room and a separate tent available at a good price. We checked out the other 2 resorts which were also full and came back to check into Driftwood Village.




My friends were happy again and like the cock fights are lucky streak continued…


We enjoyed some much needed delicious food.




Then watched a gorgeous sunset



Had a lousy Margarita…and then I went to bed…However, the fun had just begun for the Doctor and Scott...


They made lots of friends that first night in Sugar Beach




They proceeded to sleep the next day away in the duyan






Then it was back to learning about another culture and making friends :)



The next day we left Sugar Beach and the Love Doctor and Scott’s good friends waved goodbye from the beach (if you look closely you can see about 6 Filipinas waving goodbye in the center).




That day we traveled up the west coast of Negros and took a boat back to Iloilo City where we met up with some of my Peace Corps friends and videoked the night away.


My PCV friends were impressed with the Doc's videoke skills...




...And Scott's sweet moves. DANCE OFF!




The next morning I took the fellas to my house in San Joaquin. They bought a goat for us to feast on that night...somebody had to kill it


A few hours later we were feasting on Caldereta and goat skin (don't knock til you try it)




Dinner was followed by a classic drinking circle with Tanduay Rum and some special liquor Scott had picked up in Taiwan…compliments of BMcD, much obliged migo.


Unfortunately Cory had to leave the next day so we all went back to Iloilo where they could get an hour long massage for $6. Later that night the Doc texted us from Manila that he was continuing to make friends.

Me and Scott headed back to San Joaquin where he spent the next day relaxing and going for a bike ride while I went to work. The following day we did a dive with my friend Gert where Scott sported this hot little number:




I think Scott just jumped off the sexy scale…from 1 to 10 that’s got to be a 12



Lab puppies at Gert’s


The following day the two of us set out to climb Mt. Napulak with our fearless guide Marlin.




Scott feeling the Philippine Heat




Me checking out the Mountain range that is the border for Iloilo and Antique Province




Only one way to the top...









We camped out at the top and the following morning made for some awesome views with the rising sun.


We headed back down early to beat the heat.

Thanks again to Cory and Scott for coming to visit and experience a little of the Philippines…good times guys.


The next weekend I headed to the Farver's for their Despedida, or going away party. It was good times and a reminder that my own time here is almost up.






I then went up to Manila and teamed up with my old buddy Lee to present a session on solid waste management for In-service Training of the new batch of volunteers. I was pleasantly surprised how many of the new PCVs were interested in working with SWM issues at their site.


While there, Kelly and I helped our friend Dave build a clay oven as a separate training. If I have time in May I might help my friend Bong build one of these in San Joaquin.

The last thing to update on was my Close of Service Conference. This was kind of crazy to think that it is indeed almost over. We had some sessions that are supposed to help us readjust in returning to the States as well as a lot of free time just to hang out with everybody…after all this is probably the last time a lot of us will see each other for quite some time. My official Close of Service is scheduled for June 6. My plans after that are to hang out in San Joaquin for another month to start work on my technical paper for grad school and possibly ride around my island of Panay…it will be good training for when I leave to bike Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam at the beginning of July. I’ll be sure to have one more blog entry before I take off. Next week I’m going back to dive the Cagayan Islands in the Sulu Sea one last time…

All the best to everybody!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home